Heat Pumps – Stiebel Eltron
SolarHub uses Stiebel Eltron, a German company with over 85 years’ experience under their belt, for their solar hot water heat pumps. Stiebel Eltron focuses on quality, energy efficiency and reliability to ensure their hot water systems are the best around. Heat pumps are a great solution for solar hot water systems. The Stiebel Eltron can operate over extended off peak power, with an active defrost function, making them great for colder months. Thus, with a large tank and no panels required, the Stiebel Eltron is ideal for an initial solar hot water system. If you are interested in finding out more about the great benefits a solar hot water system can bring you, and your home, SolarHub would be happy to help by providing some more information.
How do Heat Pumps work?
Heat pumps work much the same as a reverse cycle air-conditioning system in that they use the thermal energy available in the air to transfer heat to hot water. The picture to the right shows how this process is undertaken:
- Cold water is pumped through the tank as a fan draws air down an evaporator, transferring it to a liquid refrigerant, and causing it to change into a gas
- This gas is drawn upward through a compressor, increasing it’s temperature and transporting it to the outside of the water tank
- The pressure of the refrigerant is reduced as it goes through an expansion valve and returns to the evaporator
- This process starts again, or the heated water is fed from the tank into the household
- Made in Germany
- No panels on the roof
- Low power draw
- Single piece design for easy of installation
- Award winning design – MPAQ Environmental Product of the Year 2010 and MPGWA Energy Saving Product of the Year 2009